We are excited to be welcoming our new preps for 2022 to St Joseph's. This article outlines our transition program for new students.
Starting school is a big milestone for children and their families and at St Joseph’s we recognise that the transition between learning environments can be both challenging and exciting. A positive start to school, leading to greater and ongoing connection with the school has been identified as a key factor to increased wellbeing and engagement in the school environment.
Supporting students to successfully transition from their early childhood learning setting to the school setting requires professionals to actively foster responsive relationships with each child and their families and this is central to our transition and orientation process at St Joseph’s.
Once families have toured and their enrolment application has been completed and accepted, a meeting with our principal, Michelle, will be organised. This is a great opportunity for Michelle to meet with individual families and their children.
The transition process then runs as follows:
- The Transition Team of curriculum coordinators, Student Wellbeing leader, and principal review each child’s Transition Learning and Development Statement (the Transition Statement) from kinder/ childcare. The Transition Statement helps to connect early childhood services, schools, Outside School Hours Care services (where applicable) and families all working together to support the transition into school and the continuity of learning for each child. Some early childhood settings use their own proforma for this aspect of transition.
- The Prep teachers visit each pre-school setting, regardless of the number of new students attending that setting. This is a very valuable opportunity for our teachers to discuss individual children with kinder teachers.
- Any additional information is requested from parents, related to particular needs, eg, speech therapist reports. Our Learning Diversity Leader connects with allied health professionals where necessary.
- We have four onsite orientation days for our new students, beginning near the end of Term 3, with a Teddy Bear’s Picnic. This is a fun session to introduce children to life at St Joseph’s.
- The following three orientation sessions occur in Term 4 and the children have the chance to make connections with their Year 6 buddies- such a vital part of transition.
- A parent information session is held at the beginning of Term 4
- Parents are kept up to date with key information for the new school year by our enrolment officer.
- Early in Term 1 of the new school year, parents are invited to attend a further information session.
- Parents are also invited to attend an informal (individual) information session with the classroom teacher early in Term 1.
The dates for orientation for our 2022 preps can be found below:
Orientation Dates 2022 Prep Cohort
We pride ourselves on a thorough transition and orientation process and we welcome inquiries from prospective families throughout the year.